Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Internship

SO.
I'm makin' money this summer.

Anyway, its going well so far. I'm in my third week and have pretty much gotten the hang of things. My boss says I'm getting better at designing things in their style. Their style is... old fashioned, to put it nicely. In this company, their chief buyer is a woman in her 40s-60s. Its a collectible company.

Most of the stuff I'm creating ads for are Thomas Kinkade things. Everything is Christmas in my division, so I'm working on ads for Christmas villages, trains, ornaments, and nativities. They're all pretty darn ugly except for some cute Disney princess things I did the other day. One of the marketers even said "If we think its hideous, we know it'll sell..." Whatever, its money and good experience and everyone here is really nice.

The office is cool too. Its like a big greenhouse, there are plants everywhere, palm trees (real ones!), bamboo, and waterfalls all over. Its unlike any other office I've been to. I have my own cubicle and its pretty darn big! Other than the commute, I don't really have many complaints.

But the commute does suck.

The second day I was going up there, my car died in the middle of rush hour on I294. I couldn't even pull off the side of the road. I put my hazards on, called 911 for the first time in my life, and then cried as a couple of nice Mexicans pushed my car to the shoulder for me. Thank God for them, seriously. The cop that pulled up behind me had a good sense of humor, so that helped. He was super nice. It was quite the ordeal, but what gets me is that they couldn't find anything wrong with my car, so now I'm paranoid about driving it. I've been driving my dad's car instead (the battery died on that yesterday, but at least it was Sunday).

Other than that, its been raining every damn day.
Which I guess is fine since I can't be outside to enjoy it anyway.

--

As a random, final thought for now, whenever a friend of mine posts a surprising status on Facebook, or really anything that calls for it... I'm going to post a link to this video in lieu of a comment:



God, I love TBBT. <3

1 comments:

Erinello said...

I love Big Bang Theory!!

I'm so glad you wrote about your internship; I've been wondering about it. The website is hilarious. And I can't believe what your coworker said! I have a friend who used to work for Successories, and they all treated it as a big joke, too. But I'm so glad you're getting some good experience! And yay for Mexicans!