Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Funk

I've been in a funk for the past few days.
Not sure why, really, but I'm probably just PMSing. I just registered for my last semester of classes and registered for graduation and shit, as they say, is getting real.

There was one class I kind of wanted to take this year at some point because my adviser said she recommended it to all graphic design students. It's a competitive class so you have to apply to get into it. Well, I didn't get into it this semester, so I figured I'd try again in the spring. Next semester it is being taught by a professor I have now, so I figured since he knew me and my work I'd have a better chance of getting in. Just got the email that I didn't. Again.

It's not a class that I'm dying to take and I know that it isn't going to make or break me academically or professionally. I understand that. It just sucks. It makes me wonder what I did wrong, what is missing from my work. Did I not show enough variety? Was it just that unimpressive? Its kind of disconcerting and I don't know what to think. There are people that have gotten accepted into the class for multiple semesters, to take it again and here I can't even get into it once. Why? Of course, if you email these people the answer you'll get back is 'We just found that other candidates were better suited blah blah blah...' like it's a job interview or something. Ugh. I'm glad I don't have studio tomorrow because I know I couldn't go in there and face that professor and be nice. I mean, it's like he barely thought over the decision or already knew who he was going to accept. I got the response back within 4 days. At least the other professor thought about it all summer. This guy took 4 days. I find that hard to believe, especially with such a "large number of applicants".

Well, fuck him, now I'm going to take ice skating. Ha.

I'm not even sure if design is my thing anymore. Of course I'm going to graduate with my degree, I am. I just don't feel like I fit in in the design world. I don't want to work at a corporate office and small studios are so snobby and hipster. I might just work for a couple of years and then go back and get a teaching certification. Everyone loves elementary art, right? Then I can do what I want on the side, too. Sounds like a deal to me! That, however, is at least a little ways away and I don't have to think about it quite yet.

Summary:
- I hate this professor.
- I'm PMSing, GRRR.
- I get to take ice skating, so ha.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we should gather up all the disillusioned art students and run away together and form a studio in the middle of nowhere from which we shall slowly take over the world.

No one will see it coming and it will be epic.